Onlyfans content creators have received an email advising of new content restrictions that will come into effect in October 2021. In simple terms Onlyfans are banning sexually explicit content. This is a massive shakeup that has rocked sex workers and their fans worldwide. Onlyfans is synonymous with nudity, pornography, and even celebs posting raunchy and hardcore content. It has become famous for making fortunes for minor celebrities and even unknown or startup porn stars, and a living wage for many others. Now many are fearing for their future incomes as they read the notice;
This email is to notify you of changes to our Acceptable Use Policy that will go live effective October 1, 2021.
The new policy will prohibit the posting of any new content containing sexually-explicit conduct. Content containing nudity will continue to be allowed as long as it is consistent with the policy.
Existing content that does not meet the standards of the new policy will need to be removed before December 1, 2021.
It is worth delving deeper into what the Acceptable Use Policy states. Conveniently there is a link to that in the email as well.
Here is a link to the new Acceptable Use Policy – https://www.onlyfans.com/aup
To save you the time here is what it states;
- Do not upload, post, display, or publish Content on OnlyFans that:
- shows, promotes, advertises or refers to “sexually explicit conduct”, which means:
- actual or simulated sexual intercourse, including genital-genital, oral-genital, anal-genital, or oral-anal, between persons of any sex;
- actual or simulated masturbation;
- any exhibition of the anus or genitals of any person which is extreme or offensive;
- actual or simulated material depicting bodily fluids commonly secreted during sexual conduct;
So to surmise that means no sex acts at all. The only part that may be ambiguous is iii) as what makes genitals extreme or offensive? My guess is that in a natural position it is ok, but opening it with implements or fingers is a no go. For a penis is an erection offensive? Many would say no but at this stage we do not know what Onlyfans stance on that is. So what nudity is consistent with the policy? The only other part of the policy that mentions nudity is that you cannot use;
- in the case of Content featuring public nudity, was recorded in or is being broadcast from a country, State or province where public nudity is illegal.
Some creators are going to be affected by this a lot more than others. The more arty types of content without venturing into the sexual realm will probably not have any issues. Those that have made their living off their sexual exploits and content will probably abandon Onlyfans. Unfortunately all creators will be affected because as the content disappears the subscribers will also move on.
Onlyfans Rise during Covid
With the restrictions placed on millions due to Covid many turned to the platform as an alternative way to make ends meet. Sex workers found Onlyfans was a good fit for them to provide content with more safety than their normal workplace.
It isn’t just sex workers, there are housewives, students, and even men that lost their jobs, that joined to make some extra money during by flaunting what they have. Although many would say that makes them sex workers, a lot of them would disagree saying there is no physically contact with others. A fine distinction maybe but the point is there is a vast array of people that are affected. For the worst affected this is their only or main source of income.
There is nothing published about the percentage of sex workers on the site. It is well established that the rise of Onlyfans was due to creators and subscribers joining for the explicit content. It has been said that The top 1% of accounts make 33% of all the money and the top 10% of accounts make 73% of all the money. The question is how many of the top 10% of accounts are sexually explicit. An educated guess would put it at around 90% which will be a major financial blow if that business is lost.
The Onlyfans email states they have paid over $5 Billion dollars to creators. That means the company have made over $1 Billion in gross profit. The previous year reporting period they had revenue of $390 Million and were expecting that to triple this year. That may still happen as the reporting period finishes prior to all the content being removed. It will be the next year that will show the results of the changes.
Onlyfans Content Creator Options
For those that wish to stay on the platform they will have to audit their content and remove anything that does not comply with the new policy by 1st of December. If they do not then they are likely to be banned. Some creators have thousands of posts so this is not going to be easy. Many are already looking at alternatives.
It isn’t easy converting over to a new platform. Getting the fans to follow is the key. Onlyfans is well known through massive exposure in news articles and such. Although there are many other similar platforms out there, they are not as well known. Some of them are even older than Onlyfans but have not had the massive growth. This may well change and as more platforms sprouted due to Onlyfans success it will be interesting to see which benefit most from the migration of creators out of Onlyfans.
Alternatives to Onlyfans Platforms
There are many Onlyfans alternatives out there catering to different markets and all having good and bad points. I will save a true comparison for another post but here is a quick list showing a few places that creators can move content to, if they hadn’t already. Click on any of them to go to the site, most link to a model signup.
- Loyalfans – Lots of features for creators with some saying the interface is even better than Onlyfans. Definitely worth trying out.
- Fancentro – FanCentro provided content creators with the ability to build their audience from within the platform’s existing audience.
- Modelcentro – the best definition I have found is Modelcentro allows models to create, customize and manage their own solo paysites.
- Exclusv Life – Based in Australia. Not as well known but may just gain more following with the Onlyfans announcement.
- ManyVids – Although it started just for selling videos it has grown to be much more with fanclub, custom services, Tipping, webcamming and more. Well established with a lot of features.
- Fansly – Seems quite a few models are moving here. I think because they feel it is similar to Onlyfans or just because others have recommended it.
- Chaturbate – CB as it is known by users is the biggest webcaming platform. Still it has the ability to sell videos, pictures and even socials. There is also a fan club and of course webcamming. A lot of people from Onlyfans started on CB and use it to promote.
There are many more and I will make up a post to show some of the features, advantages and disadvantages of each when I get the chance.
Already there has been fallout as the #4 top earner Tyga has deleted his account and is creating another platform called “Myystar” to compete against Onlyfans and will allow explicit content. Will the efforts by OnlyFans to attract traditional celebrities keep users interested? Or will the users follow the sex workers?
It isn’t hard to see what has happened in the past. Tumblr was a popular destination for people looking for adult content and they banned sexually explicit images in 2018. The site was off-loaded for just $3 million one year later. Yahoo once bought it for $1.1 billion. Not a great return on investment.
This is a big shakeup and there will be winners and losers. It is difficult to see any bright side for Onlyfans but many other platforms may benefit. What do you think will happen? How will it affect you? Tell your Onlyfans story in the comments.
Be First to Comment